Looking into abortion procedures involves many questions. How early can you get an abortion? How much does an abortion cost? How much is the abortion pill? What about abortion risks?
Avenue Women’s Center is the first step for women who are facing an unexpected pregnancy. We can help provide answers to the question “Can I have an abortion at home?” as well as other information regarding your pregnancy options. If you live in the Chicagoland area, contact us right away for an appointment at one of our five DuPage County locations.
When you don’t want to face the cost of abortion or are concerned about others finding out, you may ask, “What about an abortion at home?” A “homemade abortion”? There are important things to know about a “DIY,” self-induced homemade abortion – and reasons NOT to pursue this.
- Terminating a pregnancy is a serious medical procedure.
- Any procedure comes with risks, and women need to be under a doctor’s care to ensure their safety.
- Per FDA guidelines, any abortion provider must have the ability to provide necessary surgical intervention and/or emergency care should it be needed.
- Money concerns are not a good reason to risk your health.
- The internet is full of misinformation. Some methods will not work. Other methods will put your health at risk.
- Every woman’s medical situation is unique. Something that worked for one person may not work for every woman.
- Products purchased over the internet are not always manufactured, stored and labeled according to best practices. You may think you are ordering the correct product, but it may not be what you want.
In some states, self-induced abortion is against the law. Other states have statutes against unauthorized practice of medicine or other drug charges that may apply. There could be legal problems if a homemade abortion was unsuccessful and the woman needed medical intervention. The Center on Reproductive Rights and Justice (CRRJ) states that at least 17 women have already been arrested for allegedly trying to perform their own abortion or helping someone do so.
An abortion at home is not a safe solution. If you are in the Chicagoland area, whatever may be causing you to research homemade abortion, please contact us first at Avenue Women’s Center. We will provide you with a free consultation and support for the obstacles you are facing.The information provided here is general in nature. It is not a substitute for a consultation with a medical professional. Before any medical procedure, it is imperative that you discuss your personal medical history, risks, and concerns with your doctor. If you have questions during or after a procedure, your doctor should be immediately contacted. Avenue Women’s Center is not an emergency center. If you are experiencing severe symptoms, such as bleeding and/or pain, seek immediate medical attention. Contact your physician, go to an emergency room, or call 911.