Life, with all of its twists and turns, can be messy and complicated. Perhaps you feel this strongly right now in your circumstance. Maybe you find yourself pregnant by your ex or by a close friend. But just as you were about to tell him your news, you learned he’s having a baby with somebody else. This can be such a confusing and frustrating situation to process through! So, how do you even get started?
Shocking news, whether your own or his, can be difficult to process. While you may have been happy with your news at first, perhaps now you feel isolated and conflicted. Avenue Women’s Center is here for you as you explore your options and what this pregnancy means. We’d love to have you in for a free and confidential consultation at one of our Chicagoland locations!
Schedule your free consultation with us today!
Before You Do Anything, Do This
The situation you’re in may cause emotions to run high. And being pregnant can also intensify those feelings! When we’re upset, anxious, nervous, or angry, it can be easy to make quick, rash decisions about really important things. But, when it comes to such a huge decision, it’s so important to take time and think and to do these things:
- Confirm your pregnancy. If you’re early in your pregnancy or had unclear results from your pregnancy test, a great first step to take is to confirm your pregnancy through a medical-grade pregnancy test. While a doctor’s office or clinic may offer this test, so does Avenue Women’s Center, and for free! Our tests show accurate results just ten days after possible conception.
- Learn about your options. With your pregnancy, you have three options: abortion, adoption, and parenting. Each has its own set of difficulties that you’ll need to weigh before choosing.
- Find your support system. No matter which direction you take with your pregnancy, it’s helpful to have assistance in one way or another. Take a look at the close friends and family you have as well as what community or government resources are available to make your path smoother.
- Talk with a professional. Having an outside, unbiased perspective on your situation can be so beneficial. You can talk with your doctor, a therapist, or somebody like a pregnancy consultant. These people meet different needs but can help you process your situation, options, and brainstorm creative ways to help things work out.
- Have an ultrasound exam. This exam will show you the age and viability (likelihood to continue) of your pregnancy. It will rule out ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage so you have more information to base your decision on.
- Have a conversation with him. Lastly comes what you might be considering a dreaded talk. Of course, it’s entirely up to you whether you want to discuss this with your partner (or former partner). But if you want him to be involved in any capacity, and if you and others close to you think it is a wise idea, it may be time to sit down with him.
Of course, you should always consider your own hopes and dreams. If this pregnancy is something you’re excited about and looking forward to, don’t let other pieces of the puzzle ruin it for you.
Avenue Women’s Center is here to walk by your side and make sure you know you’re strong! You are not alone. We provide free and confidential services and resources to empower you to choose courageously! Our compassionate consultants would love to sit with you and hear your story!
Schedule your free pregnancy test and limited ultrasound exam with us today!
The information provided here is general in nature. It is not a substitute for a consultation with a medical professional. Before any medical procedure, it is imperative that you discuss your personal medical history, risks, and concerns with your doctor. If you have questions during or after a procedure, your doctor should be immediately contacted. Avenue Women’s Center is not an emergency center. If you are experiencing severe symptoms, such as bleeding and/or pain, seek immediate medical attention. Contact your physician, go to an emergency room, or call 911.