Everyone has a belief system. However, pinpointing deeply held beliefs takes some conscious effort. And applying them to difficult situations, allowing principles to help guide important decisions, can be even more challenging. Perhaps you’re coping with an unexpected pregnancy today- facing a choice for abortion, adoption, or parenting. This may be one of the hardest decisions you’ll ever have to make. But you’ll probably feel most at peace with the result if your outcome lines up with your principles.
Avenue Women’s Center is here to be your advocate throughout your pregnancy journey. We’re a first-step pregnancy center, offering practical services and emotional support to persons walking through the challenging days of an unexpected pregnancy. Our free, confidential services include medical-grade pregnancy tests, limited medical ultrasounds, options consultations, and more!
Reach out to schedule an appointment today! We have six locations in Chicagoland. We offer virtual consultations too!
Identifying Your Values and Beliefs
Explore your deeply held values and beliefs, by asking yourself questions like these.
- What are my convictions? Which of my principles stand out as particularly important? What do I believe in so strongly, I’d be willing to make a sacrifice for it?
- What aspects of my life do I treasure the most?
- What brings me joy? What gives my life meaning and purpose?
These are deep, multi-layered questions. Reflecting on them will take time, and that’s okay. Becoming self-aware of your values and beliefs is an important early step. Once you’ve identified them, you’ll be equipped to apply them to your circumstances, and ask yourself which of your pregnancy options is most compatible with your principles.
Applying Your Values and Beliefs to Your Pregnancy Situation
Figuring out whether abortion, adoption, or parenting best aligns with your beliefs isn’t always a simple process. You may have a belief system that seems to point you in different directions. On the other hand, perhaps you have a clear understanding of your principles, and you sense which pregnancy option would be the best match. But following those instincts would lead you down an especially scary or challenging path. There are probably outward influences competing for your attention too- like other peoples’ opinions and desires. Choosing a pregnancy option can be weighty and even controversial. But it is possible to break through the noise, identify your best way forward, and follow through with courage. These practical steps may help you accomplish that.
- Take your time. Most persons have weeks or months (depending on which way they’re leaning) before their pregnancy options become more limited. Use the time that you have to process your situation and ask yourself deeper questions, like the ones mentioned about your values and beliefs. Learn about your unique pregnancy and research your options to find clarity. Be sure to set aside time for self-care too! Your mind will need a break occasionally. Look for opportunities to refresh your brain and rest, whether this means laughing with a friend, engaging in a creative project, or immersing yourself in a good book.
- Gather support. Assess your support network. Is there a trustworthy person in your life you’d like to confide in? Processing your beliefs, thoughts, and feelings out loud with someone supportive often leads to greater insight. Look for opportunities to strengthen your emotional and practical support system. It will probably feel most natural to embrace your best outcome when you know someone has your back.
- Pay attention to your instincts. Intuition can be a mysterious thing. Maybe your gut is steering you in a particular direction, and you don’t understand why. Instincts are always worth considering. They may reflect your deeply held beliefs, and they often turn out to be good indicators of your next best steps.
Evaluating which pregnancy outcome best aligns with your values and beliefs generally isn’t a quick, straightforward process. But discovering this insight is possible and well-worth your focus, because it’s important for you and your beliefs to be the source of your pregnancy outcome. Avenue Women’s Center exists to walk by your side as you figure out your best way forward. Our goal is to help you access the information and encouragement you need to make an informed, confident decision.
Learn more about Avenue Women’s Center! We offer a safe space to process your circumstances alongside caring, expert professionals.
The information provided here is general in nature. It is not a substitute for a consultation with a medical professional. Before any medical procedure, it is imperative that you discuss your personal medical history, risks, and concerns with your doctor. If you have questions during or after a procedure, your doctor should be immediately contacted. Avenue Women’s Center is not an emergency center. If you are experiencing severe symptoms, such as bleeding and/or pain, seek immediate medical attention. Contact your physician, go to an emergency room, or call 911.