Change is something we have to face on a regular basis, but major life change, such as an unplanned pregnancy, can really throw us for a loop. So, what do you do? How do you effectively deal with change?
Managing change can be difficult and each woman’s situation is unique. Avenue Women’s Center is a women’s limited medical clinic specializing in services geared towards unplanned pregnancy. From complimentary pregnancy tests to confidential options consultations, our goal is to assist women in making a pregnancy decision. Reach out to us for an appointment today.
Dr. Stephanie Sarkis offers insight and helpful tips in her article, “10 Ways to Cope with Big Changes” in Psychology Today. Here are some of her tips, along with ways that they specifically apply to unplanned pregnancy:
1. Acknowledge things are changing. One of the most common initial responses to having a positive pregnancy test is disbelief. Many women who come to our clinics have taken multiple home tests with positive results. Denial is a powerful coping mechanism, but is not often the most helpful when it comes to facing an unplanned pregnancy. The first step is to acknowledge the pregnancy is real and begin to look at the options and obstacles you may be facing.
2. Keep your regular schedule as much as possible. It can be easy for change to throw everything in our lives off balance. Don’t allow your schedule to be impacted. Maintain a routine as much as possible. This will help achieve some sense of equilibrium.
3. Try to eat as healthy as possible. This can be difficult with pregnancy if you are dealing with nausea. However, try to maintain a healthy lifestyle, recognizing that what you eat can impact how you feel. Try to avoid “stress eating.”
4. Seek Support. It can be tempting to try to “go alone,” especially when people may have differing opinions on what you should do regarding the pregnancy. However, it can be very helpful to have others’ support when facing unplanned pregnancy. If you don’t have trusted friends or family members that are available to assist you, Avenue Women’s Center is here to help. Discussing your situation with an uninvolved third party can be beneficial in gaining a new perspective, as well as the support you need. (Contact us to schedule a confidential pregnancy consultation.)
5. Give yourself a break. Two of the most common feelings that women have to fight when it comes to unplanned pregnancy are fear & shame. Perhaps you are in a situation that you never thought you’d be in. Maybe the future now looks a lot different than you had planned. It’s important to show yourself grace & to give yourself some space for breathing room. Unfortunately, you can’t turn back time or erase what has happened, but you can take positive steps to move forward.
If you are facing a major life change, such as an unplanned pregnancy, Avenue Women’s Center offers services to help get you on the right track. Free pregnancy tests that are accurate just ten days after possible conception will confirm (or un-confirm) your suspicions. If you have a positive result, our caring client advocates are available to walk you through your pregnancy options with helpful information and nonjudgmental support. Contact us today for an appointment and get started on your journey right away.
Psychology Today. (2017, January) 10 Ways to Cope with Big Changes. Retrieved from: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/here-there-and-everywhere/201701/10-ways-cope-big-changes
The information provided here is general in nature. It is not a substitute for a consultation with a medical professional. Before any medical procedure, it is imperative that you discuss your personal medical history, risks, and concerns with your doctor. If you have questions during or after a procedure, your doctor should be immediately contacted. Avenue Women’s Center is not an emergency center. If you are experiencing severe symptoms, such as bleeding and/or pain, seek immediate medical attention. Contact your physician, go to an emergency room, or call 911.