One of the first concerns a woman faces when she learns or suspects that she is pregnant is where to go to confirm the pregnancy.
There are several options available. Different clinics fit different needs and situations.
If you have been receiving care from a physician or clinic with the goal of becoming pregnant then they are the first and best choice for continued care.
If your suspected pregnancy is unplanned and you are faced with a decision concerning any aspect of the pregnancy then you will need to find a clinic that is designed to best meet your needs.
Important Aspects of a Reputable Clinic:
- Confidential It is important that you can obtain the information you need in an environment that will keep all your medical information and concerns strictly confidential. No one needs to be aware of your situation before you are ready to tell them.
- Cost Ideally, you will be able find a clinic that has little or no profit motive in helping you determine your best course of action. Additionally, clinics that can offer you free pregnancy tests and ultrasounds provide necessary information and save you money.
- Professional Make sure that the clinic you choose is staffed with medical professionals and personnel that have been well trained to provide the services you need. Facilities that are not licensed should be avoided. The appearance of any clinic offering medical services should reflect the care and professionalism of the staff.
- Holistic The clinic you choose should focus on you, your concerns, and the impact this pregnancy has on all aspects of your life. Clinics that try to influence your decision will not be willing to consider your thoughts and feelings.
- Open-minded This can be one of the most difficult and confusing times in your life. An unexpected pregnancy raises many concerns. You don’t need or want to be judged for whatever has happened in your life in the past. A non-biased, open, and considerate staff is optimal when you are seeking to explore your options or just convey your concerns.
- Caring A clinic that will sit and talk to you without regard to time and other activities is priceless. You should feel that you can call or return and they will be ready to talk to you.
- Knowledgeable A reputable clinic should provide you with reasonable medical information and additional support resources in your area.
Avenue Women’s Center was organized to operate on all of the principles stated above. If you or someone you care about is in need of any services, please call us first. If you need a referral to another reputable center out of our service area we will gladly refer you.
The information provided here is general in nature. It is not a substitute for a consultation with a medical professional. Before any medical procedure, it is imperative that you discuss your personal medical history, risks, and concerns with your doctor. If you have questions during or after a procedure, your doctor should be immediately contacted. Avenue Women’s Center is not an emergency center. If you are experiencing severe symptoms, such as bleeding and/or pain, seek immediate medical attention. Contact your physician, go to an emergency room, or call 911.