Feeling pulled between two completely different choices can be stressful. Being torn between considering abortion or choosing to continue your pregnancy may feel pressing and distressing. You might feel like you have each foot in a different camp. There are a lot of factors that could be adding to this difficulty deciding. So, how do you decide between abortion and parenting?
Are you having trouble choosing what to do regarding your pregnancy? If you’re torn between two options, Avenue Women’s Center is here to help. During a private consultation, we can answer your questions, and provide relevant options information to make your decision process a little smoother.
Contact us to set up your appointment today!
How to Decide When You Can’t Decide
When you feel torn between two decisions, trying to make up your mind can be difficult. It can be really helpful at this time to take a step back and review the information you have, what information you’re lacking, and honestly consider which option matches up with your hopes, dreams, and values. So, let’s take a look at abortion and parenting and some questions that can be helpful to answer.
There are two kinds of abortions. 1. Medical Abortion and 2. Surgical Abortion. It’s important you know what these mean as well as which one you’d qualify for. There are certain timeframes for abortion and it’s important to make sure you’re not too far along. Some questions you might consider asking and answering honestly could be:
- What drives me to get an abortion? If it is based on circumstances, could they change soon?
- If I’m also considering parenting, for what reason might I be considering an abortion? Is this my own idea or is somebody else pressuring me?
- Does an abortion match up with my hopes, dreams, and values? How so? How doesn’t it?
- How will I feel about this decision a few months from now, next year, or five years down the road?
Just as abortion comes with its own set of challenges, difficulties, and questions, so does parenting. This option has its own set of risks and rewards. Perhaps you are considering abortion because you lack confidence in yourself or the resources necessary for parenting. If this is the case, you can feel relieved to know that you don’t have to parent solely by yourself, and there are plenty of support resources available to you. Some helpful questions to consider this path might be:
- What draws me to parenting? What do I look forward to about this possibility? What am I uncertain about?
- If I’m also considering abortion, why might I choose the opposite? Is it possible I’m leaning towards one more than the other?
- Does parenting match up with my dreams, values, and goals?
- What joys might parenting bring into my life?
- How will I feel about this decision in a few months, next year, or a few years from now?
Sometimes not feeling supported or like we have enough resources can keep us from making the decision we truly desire. Wherever you’re at in your decision-making process, Avenue Women’s Center is here for you. You can learn more about how far along you are during a free ultrasound exam, which is important to know if you’re considering abortion. We can also provide options information and resources that will empower you to take the next steps in deciding between abortion and parenting.
Reach out to schedule an ultrasound and receive a free consultation!
The information provided here is general in nature. It is not a substitute for a consultation with a medical professional. Before any medical procedure, it is imperative that you discuss your personal medical history, risks, and concerns with your doctor. If you have questions during or after a procedure, your doctor should be immediately contacted. Avenue Women’s Center is not an emergency center. If you are experiencing severe symptoms, such as bleeding and/or pain, seek immediate medical attention. Contact your physician, go to an emergency room, or call 911.