Our blog doesn’t shy away from discussing complicated pregnancy-related issues. Today’s topic fits into that category. What happens when you find out you are pregnant by your best friend? You never intended this to happen. You may have never even intended to sleep together. How do you navigate this tricky situation?
Avenue Women’s Center has assisted women facing unplanned pregnancy in any number of relationship situations. We are a women’s limited medical clinic offering free, confidential services such as pregnancy tests and options consultations. Our caring client advocates recognize each woman’s situation is unique and provide services tailored to your individual situation. If you live in the Chicagoland area, contact us today for an appointment right away.
How do you move forward in a situation where you are pregnant by your best friend? Here are some questions for consideration:
- Is this a fling or is there a possibility for a relationship? Sometimes friends are better off that way. Other times, friendship may lead to something deeper. Which category does your relationship fall into? Are you interested in a potential future together?
- Do you feel differently than he does about the future of your relationship? Sometimes friendships of the opposite sex are in the “friend zone” because one party wanted it to be that way. Perhaps one of you is more interested in considering a future together. Now that there is a major life decision involved, you may find it helpful to talk about where your friendship is and what you would like to see happen as you move forward.
- Would you like your BFF to be a part of the decision-making process? What sort of role will he play? Some women choose to take an independent approach, while others benefit from the support of friends, family, and/or partners. Which method would you like to take when approaching the pregnancy decision?
- Are you into someone else? Having a different love interest can complicate an already complicated situation. You may want to consider putting all relationship pursuits on pause during this period of decision-making.
- Who would you like to share the news with? Perhaps no one really knows you two slept together, much less that you are pregnant by him. Who you tell about the pregnancy is always a consideration, but it seems to become especially true when the relationship status is more unique.
- Do you consider sleeping with your best friend a mistake? Regardless of the situation that caused you to be pregnant, it doesn’t have to dictate your pregnancy decision. You still have three options before you: abortion, adoption, and parenting. It’s imperative for you to gather information and take time to look through all the options. Pregnancy decisions are important. You will want to be informed and equipped to make the decision that is right for you.
In all of this, Avenue Women’s Center is here to help. We provide information and support as an un-involved third party. Our expert client advocates are here to walk you through your options and provide helpful services geared towards your unique situation. If you’re pregnant by your best friend, you aren’t alone. Contact us today for a free appointment at one of our five DuPage County locations: Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn / Lombard, Naperville, West Chicago, and Wood Dale, Illinois. We look forward to hearing from you!