When a woman suspects – or discovers – that she is unexpectedly pregnant, she is suddenly confronted with many questions. What can I do? What should I do? Where can I find help for this situation?
If you haven’t done so already, a first step is to confirm that you are indeed pregnant. Avenue Women’s Center is a women’s limited medical clinic where you can receive a high-quality, lab-grade pregnancy test. This test is offered free of charge. If the test is positive, we are here with essential information and nonjudgmental support to walk with you as you work through the next questions that follow. Please contact us today and let us provide the assistance you need at this difficult time.
There is much more you’ll want to know and consider, but here is a quick summary for your decision process:
Abortion Alternatives: When you’re making your pregnancy decision
With a positive test and confirmed pregnancy, there are three options for your pregnancy decision. You surely know what they are.
- Abortion – You can end the pregnancy.
- Parenting – You can continue the pregnancy and raise the baby, even if you will be a single parent.
- Adoption – You can continue the pregnancy and create an adoption plan, participating in selecting someone else to raise the child if you choose to. You may choose an open or a closed adoption.
When you’re working through which alternative is best for you, one of our free consultations can help. You will meet privately with a caring staff member who does not come with preconceived ideas about your situation. She has been trained to listen, support you, and expertly help you sort through your pros and cons of each alternative. In your consultation, you will process through questions you may not have considered otherwise. It can be a challenging process, but – in the end – you will be able to be confident that you made your personal best decision!
Abortion Alternatives: When abortion is the decision
If you have determined to end the pregnancy, the next thing you need to do is weigh abortion alternatives and procedures.
- Medication abortion, utilizing the “abortion pill” RU-486, has been approved for up to 70 days (10 weeks) of pregnancy.
- Accurate dating of the pregnancy can be confirmed by ultrasound.
- Surgical abortion may be performed in Illinois up until 24 weeks of pregnancy. Illinois allows exceptions after 24 weeks of pregnancy for the life and health of the woman.
- A number of different procedures may be used for a surgical abortion, depending on the stage of pregnancy.
For specific information about abortion alternatives relevant in your situation, please contact us.
Avenue Women’s Center is the first step for women who are facing unplanned pregnancies in Chicagoland. Whatever concerns you may be experiencing, our caring staff members are here to listen and help.
This is what one of our August clients reported about her experience at Avenue Women’s Center: “[My counselor] took time to find out about my personal life so she could do her best to help me figure out my best options.”
It is important to us that you feel empowered to move forward with your best decision. If we can be of assistance, we hope you will call, text, email or chat to get in touch with us. Whether you’re still making your decision or are moving towards abortion, we are here for you.
The information provided here is general in nature. It is not a substitute for a consultation with a medical professional. Before any medical procedure, it is imperative that you discuss your personal medical history, risks, and concerns with your doctor. If you have questions during or after a procedure, your doctor should be immediately contacted. Avenue Women’s Center is not an emergency center. If you are experiencing severe symptoms, such as bleeding and/or pain, seek immediate medical attention. Contact your physician, go to an emergency room, or call 911.