Each woman responds differently when moving towards her first abortion. We’ve noticed that some women feel more confident when they understand as much as possible about the procedure. It can increase your sense of control when you understand all of the vocabulary that’s being used.
Do you live in Chicagoland? Are you researching options regarding an unintended pregnancy? If so, we hope to help you. Our caring team members are here specifically to help women navigate the questions and pressures that come with a pregnancy… and to help them build confidence as they move forward with their best decisions. For help with your situation, please contact us today.
What is a curette?
The Merriam-Webster definition tells us a curette is “a surgical instrument that has a scoop, ring, or loop at the tip and is used in performing curettage.” So….
What is curettage?
Curettage is a surgical scraping or cleansing that’s accomplished with a curette.
How is a curette used in abortion?
There are a number of variations of surgical abortion. Depending on how far a woman is into her pregnancy, she may have:
- Suction Curettage (up to 13 weeks)
- Dilation and Evacuation (beyond 13 weeks)
Each procedure varies. However, all may include the use of a curette to scrape the walls of the uterus. This is done to ensure all the contents of the uterus have been removed.
“I find myself going out on the road to get my confidence back, because I lose it at home.” Lionel Richie
Are you seeking confidence regarding your pregnancy decision? We hope you will give yourself the time you need to gather the facts for making your personal best decision. Besides finding out “What is a curette?” and how it is used in an abortion, you surely have other questions… from basic facts all the way up to concerns about your future plans.
At Avenue Women’s Center, our caring and nonjudgmental pregnancy consultants will listen to you. We will hear all your questions, provide information you want, and assist you in processing your options. Our free consultations are private, confidential, and available totally separate from whatever decision you end up making. We offer additional free services as well.
Please contact us by call, text, email or chat to make an appointment today. With four Chicagoland locations: Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn / Lombard, Naperville, and Wood Dale, Illinois – we hope to have a location that’s convenient for you. You don’t need to go through this alone.
- Merriam-Webster. Retrieved from: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/curette?utm_campaign=sd&utm_medium=serp&utm_source=jsonld
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. (2015, May).Induced Abortion. Retrieved from: http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Induced-Abortion
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. Suction Curettage. http://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,5885,7-339-73971_4909_6437_19077-46301—,00.html
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. Dilation and Evacuation (D&E). http://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,5885,7-339-73971_4909_6437_19077-46298—,00.html
- Brainy Quotes. Lionel Richie Quotes. Retrieved from: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/l/lionel_richie.html
Reviewed by Patricia Kuenzi, APN-CNP, MSN, ANP, PNP.The information provided here is general in nature. It is not a substitute for a consultation with a medical professional. Before any medical procedure, it is imperative that you discuss your personal medical history, risks, and concerns with your doctor. If you have questions during or after a procedure, your doctor should be immediately contacted. Avenue Women’s Center is not an emergency center. If you are experiencing severe symptoms, such as bleeding and/or pain, seek immediate medical attention. Contact your physician, go to an emergency room, or call 911.